Sunday, September 19, 2010

MY SUNDAY 160
Home from work at 3 a.m.
DRATS! A light shines on my pillow.
Not a full moon?
Why so much light?
Why haven't I noticed that it's
never
REALLY dark here anymore?



Honestly, I hadn't noticed until Tim and I tried to see the great meteor shower a few weeks ago that it is just not DARK anymore. The area is getting commercialized and everyone has big lights to deter crooks (cause they all have SOOO much to steal). When we were kids and slept outside it was so dark you couldn't see anything, now I can see all the way across the street. Or maybe when I was a kid it was just the same and I was just a big ass baby afraid of the dark, so it seemed darker. But either way, unless i arrange the blinds just so, and the cat doesn't get in the window and move them I will have a bright light shining right in my face. I like dark when I am sleeping (trying to sleep)...DARK AND QUIET! How far from humanity does one have to go in the world today to find absolute dark and quiet? No spaceship shit, though...I have that claustrophobia thing going on. I like air ALL around me, not just in a limited supply.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes we don't notice the obvious! And it did make you write one good 160!

    http://firmlyrooted.blogspot.com/2010/09/about-fish-chips-and-nothing-else-much.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to live across from a nursing home. It had bright parking lot lights, and a noisy shift change at 11:30PM, when young orderlies zoom-zoom-zoomed their was up the street. Then we moved to our current house on a cul-de-sac. The first night, we couldn't sleep. "What's that?" he asked. "I think it's darkness and quiet. Loud, isn't it?" I answered.

    P.S. I like your Elvis playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice 160. the more we expand...the more we lose...the land...the room...the animals and even the stars...we live in the country now...and the night is a beautiful ebony...

    my 160

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine 160 and I love, love, love the political correctness quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean you could see the sky? Not in good ol' P-Town. Great 160. Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete