Saturday, July 24, 2010

MY SUNDAY 160
My Grandma made beautiful quilts her entire life,
That are cherished by us all.
How could her gifted hands also create
those terrifying sock monkeys on her bed?


aren't childhood memories wonderful? I can't remember where i put my car keys or glasses 5 minutes ago, but i can remember those damned sock monkeys. Grandma always had her bed covered with one or another of her quilts (and even as a kid i knew they were beautiful), and her homemade pillows. She sewed all by hand, she knitted she crocheted (i can't even spell it)...and then to top it off there were those damn sock monkeys. I'm not sure why, but they always (and still do) creep me out. Some people don't like clowns (which bear a striking resemblance to sock monkeys), my thing is sock monkeys. The only thing nowadays that i can equate them with is the Burger King. If I were a little kid today i would be terrified of the Burger King. There is just something so wrong about him.

8 comments:

  1. I totally see your point. To be honest, I'm not all that comfortable with the Teletubbies either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sock monkeys. My Grandmother made only one, but I remember looking forward to going to her house to play with it. Great 160 and back story. Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. they do the same to my wife but i like sock monkeys...your 160 gave me smiles...my boys have blankets made by their grandmother that htye take everywhere with them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE SOCK MONKEYS! But a bed full of them may be a little unnerving! Still you should cherish them too!

    http://harrischanningauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. I had one of those sock monkeys. I considered it seriously ugly, which was good because I was willing to take it place I'd never risk a toy I really liked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm good with sock monkeys; I think they are adorable...but the BK man...creepy. You couldn't be more right about him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how sweet,
    your grandma is loving and creative...

    thought provoking 160.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am sitting here laughing...wondering why you have a sock monkey for your profile picture???? as creepy as you might think they are, they must evoke some kinda warm fuzzy feeling, reminding you of your grandma???
    you know, i don't remember you ever talking about her. or, perhaps by head was so far up my arse that i didn't hear you? you had such nice things to say about her, i'm anxious to hear more!
    just wanted to let you know that i read your plastic bag post a few minutes ago and i couldn't agree with you more...people really need folks in office who are going to care more about getting work for those who need to grocery shop!!
    take care, girlie girl :) liked your 160!!

    ReplyDelete